Saturday, January 26, 2008

Joshua's Dream Come True (AKA Musings of an anesthetized mind...)

Friday I had a hernia repair, my first and hopefully last surgery of my life. It wasn't too bad. We had to be there at 6 am for a 7:25 operation. I was able to stay with Joshua and Caleb up through all of my pre-op. This was wonderful because Joshua was really tired because of his rude awakening at 5:30 am in 5 degree weather. I got to nurse him one last time and get him all calm before they rolled me away.

I opted for the least amount of drugs as possible for the surgery, to avoid getting passing it along to Joshua. Consequently, I was awake and alert (or at least thought I was). Before they rolled me away to the OR they gave me a mild sedative that made me fell like a had butterflies flying around in my head, and Caleb said I sounded really drunk, but I thought I was totally normal. I was talking to the Doctor and anesthesiologist the whole time during the operation, thinking I was having a normal coherent conversation, but most likely not. They just put some local on the area where they cut, which was strange because i could feel them touching and tugging at my stomach, but the sedative made me not care. Anyway it went great and only took an hour before I was in recovery with Joshua and Caleb again. Joshua slept most of the time I was gone, but was very nervous of all the people that kept attacking his mommy and insisted on sitting right by me, and crying when ever someone came near.


Since the surgery I have been pretty sore, and have to walk all hunched over or it pulls on the incision. I have also been too sore to carry Joshua. He loves it since all I do is sit down on the ground on a pillow and let him crawl all over and play. He loves that I can't get up and do other things. I am always right there, so he crawls over to see me, and then back to his toys, etc. I'm sure it's what he's always dreamed of: his mommy and his toys together all day long.


Anyway I am starting to feel much better already; everything is healing great.

2 comments:

Nat said...

I had no idea you had surgery. I hope you are doing okay. The closest I've come to having surgery is when I got my wisdom teeth out... I never want to have real surgery. I hope you have a fast recovery!!

Unknown said...

I feel sort of lame because I didn't even know you were having surgery! I know it was a while ago, but if you need anything let me know.